Monday, August 15, 2016

Week 6.5: August 11, 2016


Hey everybody!

First off, NO I am NOT being disobedient! I know it's Thursday. We had half a P Day on Monday because today, we had the opportunity to go to the temple. After that, we had a BBQ and played some games at the mission home. It was an overall great experience. I feel as though a lot of questions pertaining to some investigators were answered as well as some thoughts and questions I'd been having.

Let's see, what's happened since the last email? Well we received some exciting news from the District Leader. Next week, our mission president is coming out to the zone for some zone training. After that meeting, he will be spending the rest of the day with me and my companion. Whoo! No pressure. I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm excited to see what he has to say and pointers he might give that can help improve the work in our area.
We also got our hair cut from another missionary out here. Trying something different. (Don't worry mom. It looks fine). I've also dropped about 5 pounds since leaving the MTC. I have actually grown to really love the biking. It's been keeping/getting me in shape.

After dinner, we were riding to go to an appointment when we stopped by a family hanging outside their house. It took about .2 seconds for me to hear that pidgin accent and realize they were from Hawaii. Their name is ther Perota's and they're from the Puna area. The mom's name is Kau'i and the dad's name is Calvin. (In case you happen to know them, dad). Aunty Kau'i graduated from Kamehameha Schools so we had a lot in common to talk about. She is a Hawaiian language teacher at Stanford. It was great to be able to talk pidgin again. It's been so long. My companion was laughing because he said he could hear such a difference in how I was talking and the excitement of finding someone from Hawaii was evident.

To close, another story concerning my companion and his biking. I was riding in front as we were going down the street. Every now and then, I would turn to face him to ask a question on where we were going or make a comment. One of those times, as I turned around to face forward, I saw a sign dead ahead. I was able to quickly maneuver my way around it. As I passed it and let out a sigh of relief, I heard the loud and distinct "BING" of metal hitting metal. Elder Lui had been following me close behind and had almost no time to react to the oncoming pole. Quickly turning, I saw Elder Lui miraculously still on his bike and still going forward. As the pole came in, he had let go of the handlebar with his left hand where the pole made contact and yanked the right handlbar back hard before it could swerve and buck him over. He was pretty proud that he was able to stay on.

I'll email all of you again next Monday and I can't wait to hear from all of you! As I am learning everyday, "...as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day" -Alma 38:5. Trust in the Lord with everything! Love Him, serve Him, and He can and will help us through everything life has to throw at us.

Love you all!
-Elder Kaitoku​

No comments:

Post a Comment